Written by Kate Manley
The Melbourne Cup is the world’s premier handicap distance thoroughbred race. It’s called ‘the race that stops a nation’ because most of the country takes a day off for the race.
The carnival atmosphere extends to every city and regional town in Australia, as cup fever takes hold; restaurants are booked out well in advance, and private gatherings are part of the fun.
The event is a massive drawcard for Victoria, bringing thousands of visitors from Australia and around the world and contributing millions to the state economy. Attracting over 300,000 people to the track, it has been the highlight of the racing calendar for over 100 years.
Here in Hervey Bay, there are many reasons to enthusiastically embrace the day, one of which is to splurge on a new outfit and wear the most extravagant hats or fascinators! It is the foremost opportunity to express your own personal style and fashion flair.
This month we’ve assembled a collection of prize-winning outfits, you can choose to style any of them with a stunning chapeau or just add some bling to your favourite sun hat!
- White linen maxi shirt dress with chartreuse, grey and black, bold floral print, silver self-tie belt, pearl and silver jewellery.
- Dreamy multi-layer maxi dress made from 100% cotton lace, with full length underslip, rose gold and pearl jewellery.
- 100% cotton paisley patterned Boho dress, fully lined, includes the gold and white rope tassel belt and we’ve added a gold chain necklace.
- Black cotton midi-dress with Aztec tie belt, fully embroidered bodice teamed with black and silver beaded necklace.
- French, knee length dress in finest chiffon featuring gold paisley pattern design, accessorised with vintage coin, collectors necklace.
- Ashleigh Manley original watercolour painting depicting a jockey on horseback.