Recipe courtesy of the Country Kitchens team
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 ½ serves per portion
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 stalk of lemongrass, mashed
500 g chicken thigh, sliced into 2 cm strips
50 g of tamarind paste
2 chicken stock cubes, reduced salt
2 cups water
½ cup pineapple, diced, fresh or tinned
4 tomatoes, quartered
1 carrot, sliced
1 cup green beans, halved
3 red chillies, deseeded
10 shallots, peeled and sliced
4 cloves of garlic
2 cm knob of turmeric, sliced
½ teaspoon dried shrimp paste (belacan)
1 tablespoon ground coriander
- MAKE a spice paste by grinding all the spice mix ingredients in a mortar and pestle or a high-speed blender. Set aside.
- HEAT oil in a large saucepan. Fry lemongrass for 10-20 seconds then add the spice paste. Fry over medium-low heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- ADD chicken slices to the saucepan and cook to seal.
- MEANWHILE mix the tamarind paste and stock cube with the water.
- POUR the tamarind mixture over the sealed chicken and bring to the boil.
- ADD pineapple, tomato, carrot and green beans and cook until chicken is cooked through and the green beans are tender (5-6 minutes).
- SERVE with brown rice.